Saturday, 1 March 2014

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette - Review, Swatches and Tutorial!


I bought this cute little palette in December, and for some reason I haven't got around to posting about it until now! I know the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette has been around for a little while now, but I love it so much that I wanted to review it anyway (: 

The Naked Basics Palette is half the size of the other three, full-size Naked Palettes, comprising of 6 eyeshadows instead of twelve. However, despite a smaller range of shades, it's still super versatile and can be used to create a range of everyday neutral eye looks to more intense, smokey eyes. 



Out of the six shadows, five of them are matte. The first and lightest shade in the palette, Venus, is the only shimmery shade. It's very pretty and perfect for highlighting the inner corners of the eye and the brow bone. Using a light hand, it also looks lovely all over the lid for a subtle wash of neutral shimmer to add a little extra to an everyday look. (The small chip you can see in the bottom of 'Crave' is from when I knocked the palette off my dressing table, my heart nearly stopped! Haha) 


As you can see, all of the shades have really good colour payoff - something we've all come to expect from Urban Decay's eyeshadows. They all have a lovely soft texture, no fall-out that I've noticed, and are so easy to work with and blend out beautifully. The shades are all slightly cool-toned which is something that particularly attracted me to this palette, as I find overly warm tones around my eyes don't really suit me, and tend to make the rest of my face look a little washed out.

For day-to-day, I usually wear either Foxy or Walk Of Shame all over the lid, with Naked 2 in the outer-V and crease, and Venus in the inner corner. I'll also add a little Faint or even Crave along my lash line if I'm not bothering with my liquid liner. To make my eyes bolder for a night time look, I'll add Naked 2 under the eyes too, Faint in the crease and a little under the eyes at the outer edge, and crave in the outer-V. Faint and Crave are super pigmented and come out really dark so you only need a little of either of them on your brush, and then build up gradually for your desired intensity. From looking at Crave you'd expect this, but not so much with Faint - when I first used Faint I didn't realise this and just went straight in there with a loaded brush! Took some serious blending to rectify that haha. To finish off my eyes for the evening I'll almost always add my liquid liner, but sometimes just put crave along my lashline and load up on mascara instead.


I've added in a little Day-To-Night tutorial that I filmed last month, hope you find it useful! Watching it back now, I can think of sooo many ways I could have filmed it better, but for a first tutorial video I don't think it's too bad (:




If you couldn't already tell, I lovelovelove this little palette! I think Urban Decay Naked Basics has become a real staple in my makeup routine, and is always the palette I turn to when I'm stuck for ideas (:


Do you own the Naked Basics Palette? Do you prefer it to the full-size Naked Palettes? I'd love to know your thoughts! 

22 comments:

  1. I've always loved the naked basics because the shades are mostly matte and that makes them so much versatil.
    blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You don't always want to use shimmery eyeshadow and matte shadows work with everything (: x

      Delete
  2. I need to get my hands on that pallate, I love how there's a black and cream/white! Perfect for traveling too

    xx Jeremie | jerawrmie.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's great for travelling, everything you need is right there! x

      Delete
  3. Hey:) How much was this palette? Very intrigued;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's £22, so £15 less than the full size Naked palettes (: x

      Delete
  4. I always come back to that palette for my everyday's makeup! This is the best!
    Sophie from sophisticatesophie.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Naked Basics palette - I agree, it's so versatile! x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a firm favourite! x

      Delete
  6. I really couldn't decide which naked palette to get, but I think I've decided after reading this post! :) thanks x

    http://i-blog-beauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really great one to start with - you don't have to splash out on one of the full size palettes, and can decide if you want a greater range of shades after experimenting with this one (: you can create so many looks with the Basics palette though so it'll definitely be a while until you get bored, if ever! x

      Delete
  7. Really nice review! :) I've never tried Urban Decay products but since I've seen them everywhere it might not be long until I do buy something.. :D Not so easy to find in Finland but perhaps on some online site that ships here .. ^^

    x Satu
    Indie by heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urban Decay has just become available on Feelunique.com, and I believe they ship worldwide (: x

      Delete
  8. I'd love to get my hands on this, all the shades are so gorgeous and look so versatile. The formula sounds dreamy as well!x

    Kathryn | effievanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love so many different eyeshadow palettes but the formula of Urban Decay's ones are something special - so soft and super pigmented, and if you buy the palettes instead of single eyeshadow pots then they're really good value for money too (: x

      Delete
  9. I'm so desperate to get my hands on this palette! x

    underbluelights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to try this, loving matte shades recently! :)

    http://sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get this and the Naked 3!

    www.skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. The palette seem so great! I love how small and compact it is.

    Dejhana | Waite a Little

    ReplyDelete
  13. This palette is just so beautiful! I keep wanting to try it but I really don't need another palette

    http://www.mercuteify.com/

    ReplyDelete